This recipe for spaghetti squash bolognese is a three-ingredient way to have dinner ready in a snap!
The best way to eat this easy, easy recipe is if you’ve done a little bit of legwork up front and are using this instant pot marinara as your sauce base. It perfectly complements the sweetness in the sausage, without being too overpowering. But I guess in a pinch, you can always use a jar. The marinara recipe makes about two jars, so I usually stick them both in the freezer and just pop them in the microwave to defrost!
Have you made spaghetti squash in the microwave? I guess that’s what makes this recipe such a game changer. It’s ready to go in less than ten minutes! You basically steam it in a shallow dish with some water, and then, BOOM, it’s done. I’m not usually an advocate for the microwave for anything but popcorn, defrosting and chocolate melting, but you can add this to the list of microwave-approved activities.
Local Spotlight: It’s not the recipe on its own that makes this dish extraordinary, it’s very heavily reliant on the ingredients used. It’s nearly spaghetti squash time at the farmers market, and my marinara was made with my own tomatoes and basil. Finally, of course the sausage came from my friends at Prairie Creek Farms. Their sausage is mild and full of flavor, while still giving it a porky kick. I love that about it.
As long as you know how to cook spaghetti squash in the microwave, this may be the simplest thing I’ve ever put on the blog! Spaghetti squash bolognese is a great way to get a weeknight meal going really quickly, and not be overloaded with carby carbs! The sausage really beefs (porks?) up the sauce and helps you get full on something substantial…It’s almost as if the squash is just a way to get the sauce to your mouth, without looking like a weirdo for eating all the sauce from the pan…
IF YOU HAVEN’T JOINED YET, PLEASE JOIN US OVER AT 918 PLATE COMMUNITY ON FACEBOOK, WHERE YOU CAN POST QUESTIONS, FOOD PICS, AND GET RECOMMENDATIONS AND INSPIRATION!
Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
- 1 jar or about 2 C. instant pot marinara sauce search for recipe
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- Brown sausage in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Pour in marinara sauce, and reduce heat to low.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place face down in a shallow dish and fill with about an inch of water.
- Microwave squash for 5-7 minutes.
- When cooled down a little, use a fork to pull away the squash strands and place into bowls.
- When sauce is heated through, pour over prepared spaghetti squash.
- Serve with parmesan cheese and #enJOY!
Leave a Reply