These mushroom & Swiss chicken thighs were a super easy dish that I threw together with some of my sage that I brought inside for the winter. It’s growing right along, but between this recipe and the pork chops, I’ve had to give my little plant a bit of a break. It will be ready soon for more brown butter recipes and meat seasoning, I’m sure.
You can’t really screw up chicken thighs. They’re a little more fatty, but also juicy and flavorful (and on Super Sale at Sprouts), so I’d put that down as a good trade-off (what even is health, anyway?). Although we’ve got a veg (or fungi, if you will), and an entree, this one-pan dish would probably do well accompanied with some rice or green beans. So it’s not exactly a “complete” meal, although we ate it for dinner without anything else (except dessert). Justin doesn’t even like Swiss cheese but said “this is really good.” Now…I like Swiss cheese. And the day I had Emmental cheese in France changed my life. I knew that mushrooms went perfectly with Swiss cheese and was so glad I had them all on hand to throw together for a quick dinner!
Short post today – just like the recipe. Short and sweet – you’d better get cooking!
Mushroom & Swiss Chicken Thighs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1/2 t. rosemary
- 1/2 t. fresh sage homegrown
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- 8 oz. chopped cremini mushrooms
- 1 T. flour
- 1/2 C. Swiss cheese
- 1/4 C. milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pat chicken thighs dry.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh sage and rosemary on top of the chicken thighs, and generously salt and pepper
- In a screaming hot cast-iron pan, add in 1 T. olive oil.
- Sear seasoning side down for 2 minutes or until browned.
- Flip chicken right-side up and add in butter and chopped mushrooms into the pan.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and remove chicken from pan.
- Sprinkle flour and shredded cheese over the mushrooms.
- Stream in milk and whisk until a sauce forms and reaches desired consistency.
- Serve and enJOY!