With just a bottle of BBQ sauce and a few lemons, you can grill up a low carb crowd pleaser – lemon bbq grilled chicken!
Today’s post is sponsored by Head Country. Opinions of their product are my own.
My mom came home from a visit with my brother’s family with this amazingly easy recipe: “just put a bottle of barbecue sauce in with a couple of lemons to make a chicken marinade.” That…was not very specific. So I asked my sister-in-law but she said the same thing! This lemon bbq grilled chicken really is that easy.
Local Spotlight: This post today is brought to you by Oklahoma-created Head Country BBQ Sauces. It has been a long-time favorite of our family’s, with a classic smoky taste. They have just released this new Sugar-Free BBQ sauce, which is perfect for those eating low sugar, low carb or sugar-free diets like paleo! It’s still the sweet and tangy sauce we know and love. My husband met someone on a rotation who was really missing bbq flavors since starting her low sugar journey, and she mentioned it right when these bottles came in the mail for me to try! He took one to her and she was super grateful. I love how food brings people together. This sugar free bbq sauce allows everyone to join in on the celebration.
The lemons tenderize the meat and keep the barbecue taste fresh and bright. The new sugar-free sauce by Head Country isn’t overpowering in the first place, and the lemons bring out all the best notes in the sauce.
This low carb lemon bbq chicken is great as a juicy grilled chicken breast, you can also slice it and serve it cold on a salad, or even bake it after marinading if it’s too chilly outside for grilling! I had my husband aid me and do the grilling part, and just report back to me the cooking times. I know this will be a cookout favorite this spring and summer. Need other grilling ideas? Try out these chicken skewers or shrimp “boil!”
Low Carb Lemon BBQ Grilled Chicken
- 6 chicken breasts or 3 thick chicken breasts halved
- 3/4 C. lemon juice about 3 lemons
- 1 t. onion powder
- 1 t. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. Kosher salt
- 12 oz. Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 C. Sugar-Free Barbecue Sauce for basting
- Pound each chicken breast (and slice in half, if large), to an even thickness, about 3/4 inch, in a heavy duty zipper bag.
- Add in all remaining ingredients to the bag and let marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Place chicken on grill and cook 3 minutes on each side, rotate 90 degrees and then cooke an additional 3 minutes on each side.
- Optional: baste the top of each filet after removing from the grill.
- Serve immediately or cold.
Ensure your sauce is gluten and dairy free. The Head Country sauce mentioned in this recipe is.