This lemon chicken is an easy go-to for any weeknight, and can be served with tons of different sides!
I can’t believe that I’ve never put this lemon chicken recipe on the blog! It’s probably the least fancy thing ever, but is a good easy meal and I usually have all the things on hand to make it with…we eat it a lot. I have never bothered to measure anything out, and have made it with a wide assortment of ingredients over the years (Boullion to make broth, lemon juice from the bottle, without chicken, whole wheat flour…the list goes on. When I studied abroad, the boullion I bought was flavored with Indian spices!) But this recipe was actually crafted as an accident.
This lemon chicken is actually the recipe that made me a cook! When I turned 16, my mom and I visited New York City together, and when we went to NBC, the Today Show had just released their cookbook, and were signing copies (God Bless Al for being the last man standing on this cover – affiliate link)! I got a super awkward picture with Ann Curry, and a signed book. I wanted to make the lemon chicken in that recipe but somehow screwed something up and so once I got to the middle, I was just kind of winging it. I kept refining it, and as I said, experienced many iterations over the years. It’s the first recipe I “developed” through many years of testing! The sauce is basically a chicken gravy with lemon juice in it. I used to make it super lemony, and leave out the chicken. I called them “lemon noodles.” My friend even wrote me a song and even included the line,“lemon noodles are my favorite meal.” It’s hard to believe I’m still eating this today.
I like to serve lemon chicken with a green veggie like asparagus or broccoli (omg mom I like broccoli now!) and over rice or noodles. This is a really versatile dish – you can kind of use whatever you have on hand!
Local Spotlight: I used my homemade bone broth that I used my 413 Farms chicken bones for. Citrus is one thing I wish we had access to locally! I need to move somewhere tropical!
Hillary’s Signature Lemon Chicken [mDF]
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. butter
- 1/4 C. lemon juice about 2 lemons
- 1 C. chicken broth search bone broth
- 4 T. flour
- 1/8 t. all purpose seasoning
- 1/8 t. pepper
- salt to taste
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. In a small bowl, dredge with 2 T. of flour.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, combine olive oil and butter.
- Cook chicken until cooked through, flipping half way through (about 6-8 minutes).
- Combine broth and lemon juice. Whisk remaining 2 T. flour into the liquid.
- Pour liquid over chicken. Turn heat to medium low and allow sauce to thicken to desired consistency.
- Season to taste and serve!
Modification for dairy free: double olive oil and exclude butter
This recipe sounds like a winner! Even peas would be good with this chicken. Glad you like broccoli!