This instant pot galbi jjim recipe takes way less time than a three hour braising, and tastes great!
I first had Galbi Jjim in Korea. I was there during the summer of 2011 to go to a summer program, but met up with a friend before I left. These braised short ribs were in a huge bowl and was perfect with rice. Here’s a pic of baby Hillary:
Local Spotlight: Prairie Creek Farms wanted me to try out some of the short ribs and I had to figure out how to use them. This popped into my brain and I started doing the research. Braising takes a lot of time, and it’s about a three hour ordeal to make this. As for dinner, that’s not the most practical or my style. I found this awesome version in the Instant Pot at Kimchmari and I appreciate her taking the time to investigate how to make this experience happen in the Instant Pot! I adjusted for the things that I had available to me and it turned out awesome!
This was almost a disaster because my pot wouldn’t seal and we had our friends coming over for dinner, but they ended right on time. Crisis averted!!
Today’s a short post because I’d love for you to explore Kimchimari and get on with your summer!
Instant Pot Galbi Jjim [mGF, DF]
- 3 lb beef short ribs
- 1 C. carrot
- 1 1/2 C. dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 1/2 C. water
- 1/2 lb. Daikon radish
- 2 green onions
- 1 small can of water chestnuts drained
- 10 T. mushroom water see instructions
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1/2 C. low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1/4 C. red wine
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. sesame oil
- 1 t. sesame seeds
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 t. garlic powder
- Soak mushrooms in about 1 C. of warm water until soft. Reserve water.
- Trim fat off the ribs, and cut to have one rib in each chunk.
- Cut radish and carrots into 1 inch cubes/chunks.
- Mix sauce
- Add ribs and vegetables to Instant Pot, with the meat on the bottom. Pour sauce and mushroom water over everything.
- Seal the pot and put on Stew/ for 35 minutes.
- Release for 10 minutes naturally before releasing pressure manually.
- Season with sesame oil and serve with rice!
Naturally Dairy Free. an be modified to be gluten free if using low sodium tamari.