This is a super easy butternut squash mac and cheese recipe that hides some squash and tastes delicious!
I am super late to this trend, but to be honest, I was really nervous to try it out! Butternut squash is naturally pretty sweet, but the cheese and seasonings really cut the sweet with their savory flavors to give you something surprisingly cheesy and smooth! I named this “EASY butternut squash mac,” because it’s not really something high enough quality to, like, serve your dinner guests. It’s just mostly powdered seasonings. But I’ll work on a bougie version and get back to you (with real onions and garlic) sometime. This is a great one for your family when you need a quick dinner.
It does become “not so quick” if you haven’t yet prepared the butternut squash puree. You could also probably used canned pumpkin instead. I like to roast a couple squash at a time and then puree and store in individual serving/cooking jars.
HUGE perk to this easy butternut squash mac, y’all: It reheats so well. It’s not cheesy enough to need more liquid added in, and it stays soft. It still gets that “leftover mac and cheese” texture, but it’s not dry like regular ones commonly are.
Local Spotlight: I made my own bone broth that I used in this recipe! And soon it will be butternut squash season, so I foresee this getting made MUCH more this fall!
Easy Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese [mGF, mV]
- 1/2 C. milk
- 2 T. flour
- 1 C. extra sharp cheese shredded
- 1/2 C. chicken bone broth or other broth
- 1/2 C. butternut squash purée
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1 C. elbow macaroni
- 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese shredded
- Boil water and prepare macaroni according to instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium skillet on medium-low heat, whisk together milk and flour until well combined.
- When slightly thickened and bubbly, stir in butternut squash purée.
- Stream in broth to thin to desired thickness.
- Season with onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour mac into the skillet and mix until noodles are well-coated.
- Sprinkle in Parmesan cheese and mix.
- Serve and eat immediately.
Modifications: Gluten Free noodles to make Gluten Free. Use veggie broth to make Vegetarian. Serves 2