I like to make a good smoothie bowl when I need something easy. They are typically the most convenient when Justin is studying for the day and I’ve got to fend for myself for lunch. I was having one of those Saturdays recently, when I found all the fruits I had lovingly hand-chopped and frozen in bags for the winter. I told myself I should use them before they get all yucky or summer came and I’d have more berries to freeze (whichever came first).
I knew I was going to HAVE to make a smoothie bowl when I went to the farmers market for some spinach. I got a smoking deal from one of the vendors – two huge bags for $5! I froze one and a half bags, and used about 1/2 cup of packed fresh spinach in this recipe.
My all-time favorite topping on a smoothie bowl is Ghirardelli white chocolate chips…because there’s spinach in this, so I can justify chocolate, right? I also use some local bee pollen, granola, and whatever else I’ve got on hand. Smoothie bowls are so versatile and healthy. You can almost throw anything into a blender and give it a whirl and have a tasty treat.
Let me know what combination you try!
Easy Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Handful of spinach local
- 1 T. chia seeds
- 1/4 C. Milk of your choice
- 1 t. honey local
- 2 T. almond or peanut butter
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1.5 C frozen strawberries
- 1/2 C. frozen blueberries and blackberries
- Optional toppings: white chocolate chips and local bee pollen
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender in the following order: spinach, milk, chia, honey, peanut butter, bananas & other frozen fruits. Blend until it reaches desired consistency.
Naturally Gluten Free
Dairy-free if you use non-dairy milk
Paleo if you use non-dairy milk