These chicken pot pie puffs are a fun way to get your veggies – they’re always better when wrapped in a flaky pastry!
A couple of weeks ago, I made three huge chicken breasts in the crock pot and shredded them up. It fed us for the whole week! I’m considering putting some of those and my other favorite shredded chicken recipes into an e-book, so keep an eye out for that eventually!
This recipe is so adaptable because you can throw whatever you want into it! I found some Jerusalem artichokes at the farmers market and added them in. They are a new food for me – raw, they taste a lot like a potato and an apple put together. It was fun to learn about something new to kick off the new year.
Local Spotlight: carrots, Jerusalem artichokes and eggs from the farmers market!
This one is pretty straightforward, so I don’t have a whole lot of story for you, just #enJOY!
Chicken Pot Pie Puffs
- 1 C. cremini mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 C. green beans chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 C carrots
- 1/3 C. Jerusalem artichokes
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 1/2 C. shredded chicken
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/4 t. sage
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 C. chicken broth
- 1/2 C. milk
- 2 T. flour
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
- Prepare chicken and shred, if not already done.
- Chop all vegetables.
- On medium heat, heat butter and olive oil in a skillet and saute all vegetables for 3 minutes. Remove veggies from pan and turn the heat to medium low.
- Add chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk flour into milk. Stir mixture into bubbling broth and whisk.
- Let simmer to thicken for 2-4 minutes. When it reaches "condensed soup" consistency, pour it over the vegetables. Stir in chicken.
- Cut each puff pastry sheet into 16 rectangles. Roll them slightly to reach about a 3x3 Square.
- Place one heaping tablespoon of chicken mixture into the center of the pastry square. Fold over edges to seal.
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and place each puff in a space.
- Brush the top of the puffs with an egg wash.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.