These blueberry lemon basil pancakes are both fresh and indulgent—two sauces and locally grown blueberries make them perfect for summer brunching.
Today, we’re just going to kick it off with the Local Spotlight. Y’all. This place has the most delicious tasting berries I’e ever had. I’ve probably never had fresher! I got a huge quart of blueberries at the market to make these, and even had some to freeze afterwards (muffin recipe forthcoming!). I will never be able to eat blueberries from a grocery store ever again. Each one is perfectly tart and sweet, with no wilty sad guys, or the oh-so-quick appearing mold that I always seem to get blessed with.
I haven’t always been a blueberry pancake lover, but these are so tasty on so many levels, it’s hard to say no to any part of it! Fluffy, buttery, blueberry lemon basil pancakes with a savory flavor mixed with the tartness of the blueberries pair amazing with either a sweet lemony butter or a blueberry compote.
I knew I wanted to make blueberry basil pancakes, and then found out per this website that you can USE ANY LIQUID in pancake batter! Did you know this?!?! I thought it was milk or water or the highway. I used lemonade (the Simply brand), and was able to cut back the sugar in the pancakes themselves a little bit. While it actually didn’t make them as lemony as I was suspecting, it did give just a little something different to the batter that isn’t present with milk. The lemon zest is really the lemon star of the show, here.
I provided recipes for two different toppings because 1. why not and 2. obviously you need more blueberries in your life. Also, I always loved it when my grandma melted butter for us to pour on our pancakes. I loved it more than syrup. The lemon butter reminded me of a Dutch baby pancake, with the nostalgia of salty, buttered, childhood pancakes.
Compote is easy. Just bubble it out. You can also just use water if you run out of lemonade!
Be sure to follow along on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest for all the latest and greatest!
Blueberry Lemon Basil Pancakes
- 1 C. all purpose flour
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. sugar
- 2 T. oil + 1 t. oil
- 1 C. lemonade
- 1 egg
- 1/4 t. lemon zest
- 10 basil leaves chiffonaded
- 1 C. blueberries
- 1/4 C. lemonade
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 T. salted butter
- 2 T. sugar
- 2 t. lemon juice
- Melt butter in the microwave in a small dish and stir in sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring all ingredients to a simmer on low heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to break up the blueberries and prevent burning.
- When desired thickness is reached, remove from heat.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add in egg, lemon zest, and oil.
- Stir in lemonade until desired consistency is reached.
- Fold in basil.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat, and wipe 1 t. of oil around with a paper towel.
- Scoop or pour one pancake at a time into the skillet. Place blueberries on top.
- When bubbles pop on the surface, flip the pancake for 45 more seconds. Then remove to a plate.
- Serve immediately with butter, basil and compote and #enJOY!
Dairy-free and Vegetarian if you leave out the butter!
This sounds fantastic!!