This bacon & Brussels sprout hash is a fast dinner that is filling, packed with protein and paleo-friendly.
Jake made something similar to this bacon Brussels sprout hash a few months ago (another hash, with potatoes, meat, and veggies). I had a long day, and when he offered some of it to me, I was so grateful that I didn’t have to cook that I didn’t even care what was in it! But it inspired me and reminded me that hashes are so easy and make for easy clean up. Chop up some veggies, cook it all in the meat fat, done. Magic.
I think Brussels sprouts are kind of a winter food, right? So i ate them right through summer and they’re going to be in season soon? Score!
This is the first recipe I’ve done in awhile that is *almost* Paleo. (You literally cook vegetables in bacon fat, come on people, it counts). Some people are more strict on paleo than others, so white potatoes are not acceptable. You can easily sub in sweet potatoes. I think they would be an awesome addition!
Local Spotlight: Onions, bacon, and potatoes were all farmers market finds!
What kind of veggies would you add in your hash?
Bacon and Brussels Sprout Hash
- 1 1/2 C. Brussels sprouts quartered
- 1 C. mushrooms
- 2 small white potatoes or 1 small sweet potato for paleo
- 1 lb. bacon
- 1 small onion
- 1 1/2 t. gochugaru or chili flakes
- 3/4 t. all purpose seasoning
- 1/2 t. salt
- Chop all veggies as directed.
- In a cast iron skillet or other heavy-bottomed skillet, cook bacon on medium-high heat. Remove bacon from pan.
- In the bacon fat, fry brussels sprouts and potatoes first.
- Once browned, add in mushrooms and onions.
- Stir in seasonings and stir occasionally until potatoes are cooked through.
- Reincorporate bacon and serve immediately.
Naturally Dairy Free, Gluten Free Modifiable to Paleo if using sweet potato. Whole30 if you find approved bacon.
romain | glebekitchen says
You had me at cook it in meat fat but the gochugaru sealed the deal! I love brussel sprouts in season and it’s brussel sprout season. I’m having this for dinner tomorrow!
918 Plate says
I thought you’d like that! 😉