Avocado pesto is creamy, fresh and delicious – a great way to get in your healthy fats and keep you full!
You guys! I made avocado pesto and I can’t stop making it because it’s so delicious! Shown here served with chicken, I also made it the other day with brown butter salmon. Both were amazing, easy and delicious.
I learned something extremely important when I was prepping for the avocado toast post: I can eat them! So, Oral Allergy Syndrome (OAS) usually prevents me from eating them since they’re generally served raw. (more about OAS here). I was hoping that maybe if I cooked it just for a second, it would denature the allergens. When making the toast, I sliced it up, and threw it in the microwave for 30 seconds and VOILA! No reaction. Now, this may not work for someone with a more serious reaction than me (my sister-in-law tried it and said it still hurt a little, but did reduce the overall reaction) and I am not a doctor. But if your reaction is not so severe but it’s been keeping you from the creamy goodness of avocado, it might be worth a try!
I love that this recipe is so simple. All you need is a pot for water and a food processor. It all blends up quickly and you are ready to have a creamy, delicious dinner with no dairy involved! It also makes great leftovers, and would be great for meal prep. Normal pasta makes my blood sugar crash after lunch, but this packs enough extra stuff because of the avocado to keep me full but still hungry by dinner!
Local Spotlight: Garlic is from the farmers market., and the basil is from my ever-growing plant in the backyard!
Have you ever made an avocado-based sauce? Will you try?
Avocado Pesto Penne
- 3/4 C. fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 C. olive oil
- 1/4 C. roasted cashews
- 1/4 t. lemon pepper
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. Kosher salt
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/2 lb. penne pasta
- 1/4 C. reserved pasta water
- Bring water for pasta to a boil.
- In a food processor, combine basil, garlic, cashews, salt, pepper, lemon pepper. Gradually stream in olive oil until pesto forms.
- Add avocado and juice of half of a lemon into the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Cook pasta according to directions. Drain, but reserve 1/4 C. pasta water.
- In a medium bowl, combine water, pasta and pesto, stirring until pasta is fully coated.
- Serve immediately and #enJOY!
Pictured served with grilled chicken.
Naturally dairy-free and vegan (without chicken).